LEAPSSolutions for a better tomorrow.
The Laboratory for Energy And Power Solutions (LEAPS) creates technical and business solutions that facilitate the global transition to a resilient low-carbon economy.
What we do
LEAPS is changing the world one step at a time.
LEAPS takes energy innovations from concept to construction with a focus on energy access, microgrids, grid modernization, resilient infrastructure, and workforce development. Dr. Nathan Johnson manages the research team with a one-acre microgrid test bed and computational laboratory that combines simulation-based design with hands-on fabrication to create next-generation solutions to current market needs. The team creates functional prototypes for laboratory testing and field deployment, with technology transferred to the private sector for scaling. The entire LEAPS team is also active in workforce development programs to support Veterans and civilians in the rapidly changing energy economy.
Grid-edge solutions and microgrids from circuits to systems
- Distributed control strategies for microgrids and microgrid networks to enable the transition to a next-generation grid
- Microgrid and distributed energy resource asset operation through a combination of hierarchical, distributed, and centralized control strategies
- Control algorithms implemented in hardware and power electronics with off-the-shelf components and customized solutions
- A focus on flexibility, scalability, and robustness
Learn More →
Training and continuing education for a changing energy economy
- A blend of simulation-based design with interactive hands-on exercises for comprehensive training.
- Flexible delivery modes including in-person, online, and remote in-classroom delivery
- Wide range of customizable training modules available for K-12 education, college/university education, and workforce development
Learn More →
Global Energy Access
Affordable and reliable access to clean energy for all
- Rapid mini-grid engineering designs and business model development to accelerate rural electrification
- Turnkey solutions to provide power, water, and healthcare for disaster relief
- Providing technical assistance and innovation strategies to utilities in emerging markets being stressed by climate change
Learn More →
Defense Energy Security
Energy transition planning for nations, defense, and economic engines
- Creating energy transition plans for nations to accelerate net-zero goals and improve self-reliance to mitigate risk to foreign actors and fuel supply shocks
- Identifying how strategic contours at the global and national scale affect energy supply and energy demand needs in out years
- Conducting workshops and co-developing action plans that enable and empower stakeholders to continuously learn, adapt, and innovate
- Creating opportunities for public-private partnerships that enhance security and economic development
Learn More →
What we offer
LEAPS offers over 300 hours of flexible-format training in microgrid, grid modernization, and advanced energy topics. Training is available online, as concept-based lessons in a classroom setting, and hands-on through interactive simulators and physical hardware at ASU or through extension education. Topics compliment student education and support existing working professionals to yield trained personnel for the growing industries of renewables, microgrids, off-grid power, and grid modernization.
Testing services are available for components, assemblies, and systems of components (e.g. microgrids) in the following areas:
- Resilience tests against physical and cyber threats
The LEAPS one-acre Microgrid and Grid Modernization Testbed includes test bays and nodes that can be used in isolation or in parallel with the grid, which allow use of standard and customized test protocols under steady state and transient characteristics for the grid, solar, wind, electric vehicles, storage, resistive and reactive loads, power electronics, and controls.
Prototyping services are available to create new components and assemblies of components on a work-for-hire basis or selecting from existing prototypes. Examples include turnkey containerized power and water systems, mobile clinics with backup power and water, microgrid controls (software and hardware), portable testing laboratories, portable training equipment, and more prototypes delivered as-is or customized to meet unique requirements
Consulting services are provided for master planning support, original technical design and financial modeling, and third-party evaluation of electrical infrastructure projects. Smaller off-grid projects are in the 10s of kW with larger on-grid projects in the 10s of MW. Examples include real estate developments, microgrid deployments, island communities, military bases, off-grid electrification, and more
What we Provide
& Microgrid Testbed
LEAPS’s one-acre Grid Modernization and Microgrid Testbed contain three microgrid nodes that can be isolated or operated in parallel with the utility. Those nodes include:
- Microgrid Test Platform as a large ‘breadboard’ for any asset configuration (2-25 kW)
- Microgrid Trailer used primarily for training and mobile demonstrations (7 kW)
- Microgrid Container disaster response or weak-grid applications (20 kW)
Mobile Microgrid Training Platform
LEAPS provides a mobile 14-foot training platform containing a 10 kW generator, 4.5 kW of solar PV, a 7 kW inverter and microgrid controller, and 6 kWh of battery storage. The provided transfer switch and controls allow for grid integration and grid forming (islanding). Standard inverters and controllers include equipment by Outback, with optional inverters/controllers available from SMA, ABB, Ageto ARC, Victron, or other vendors if desired.
Mobile Training Toolkit
The Mobile Training Toolkit (MTT) is a portable solar PV training center “out of a box” that incorporates solar PV components, test equipment, tools, and educational materials to conduct hands-on training exercises as a part of a solar PV technician training curriculum. The MTTs are contained inside protective Pelican cases, making them ideal for transport both domestically and internationally.
CHECK THIS OUT
In the News